Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rules for organizing outlines


I have recently started to use outliners as organization tools, and I have found out how easy is to get stuck in trying to create the perfect outline. Creating good outline structures takes some practice and there are not many hard rules about how you can do it.

Here is what I do:

  • Control depth
    • I don't make my outline too shallow. If everything is a first or second level item I would have too many of them to filter efficiently. 
    • I don't make my outline too deep. It takes time to find items hidden too deep inside others, and I might miss some of them. 
    • There is consistent research data that shows that application menus should be not too deep and 
    • For me, 3 steps is usually the most efficient depth. I normally use levels 1 and 2 to filter and I only go down to level 3 if I need details about a specific item. I have some 5 level items, but these are definitely exceptions. 
  • Use folders or categories: I have come up with  a few general categories that, in fact, constitute my first level items. That helps me narrowing down searches very quickly. To be really efficient, these categories should tend to be the same. If they change often then it usually means I am doing something wrong. 
  • Use an classifying strategy: There are many, usually based on category, alphabetic, time or location. Any of these can work; the important thing is choosing one and clinging to it. I'll probably rave some thoughts about them in the future.
  • Use importance as a organizational modifier:
    • I put things needing attention nearer to the top of the structure
    • I put items that don't need attention nearer the bottom of the structure

If you stick to these general rules you should end up with solidly organized outlines. 

Do you use a different set of rules? Am I missing something important? Comments are always welcome. 

Isilion out


No comments: